Lexan ® Polycarbonate
When Lexan sheet is first installed, glazing compound and masking paper adhesive can be easily removed by applying naphtha (VM &P) or kerosene with a soft cloth, followed immediately with a thorough soap and water cleaning. DO NOT USE GASOLINE. Adherence to regular and proper cleaning procedures is recommended to preserve appearance.
Washing to minimize Scratching
Wash Lexan Sheet with a mild soap or detergent (e.g., Joy** dishwashing liquid) and lukewarm water using a clean sponge or a soft cloth. Rinse well with clean water. Dry thoroughly with a chamois or moist cellulose sponge to prevent water spots. Do not scrub or use brushes on these products: their coating is UV-resistant, not mar-resistant.
Fresh paint splashes, grease, and smeared glazing compounds can be removed easily before drying by rubbing lightly with a grade of VM&P Naphtha or isopropyl. Afterward, a warm final wash should be made, using a mild soap or detergent solution and ending with a thorough rinsing with clean water.
Minimizing Hairline Scratches
Scratches and minor abrasions can be minimized by using a mild automobile polish. Four such products that tend to polish and fill scratches are Johnson Paste Wax, Novus Plastic Polish #1 and #2 (Novus Inc., Minneapolis, MN), Mirror Glaze plastic polish(m.G.M10 – Mirror bright Polish Co., Pasadena, CA), and Plexus* (B.T.I. Chemical, Aguora, CA). It is suggested that a test be made on a sample of Lexan sheet with the product selected and that the polish manufacturer's instructions be followed.
Some Important "Don'ts"
- DO NOT use abrasive or highly alkaline cleaners on Lexan sheet products.
- Never scrape Lexan sheet products with squeegees, razor blades or other sharp instruments.
- Benzene, gasoline, acetone, or carbon tetrachloride should never be used on Lexan sheet products.
- DO NOT clean Lexan sheet products in hot sun or at elevated temperatures.
Compatible Cleaners for Lexan Sheet Products
The following cleaning agents have been found compatible with Lexan sheet. The manufacturer's recommendations and instructions should be followed.
- Freon T.F.
- Palmolive liquid***
- Top Job**
- VM&P grade Naphtha
- Windex with Ammonia D****
Lexan MR10 Sheet Cleaning Instructions
Because this material is highly mar- and UV-resistant coating, avoid the use of abrasive cleaners and/or cleaning implements that may mar or gouge the coating.
Graffiti Removable for Lexan MR10 Sheet
- Butyl Cellosolve works well for removal of paints, marking pen inks, lipstick, etc.
- Masking tape, adhesive tape, or lint removal tools work well for lifting off old weathered paints.
- To remove label stickers, etc. The use of kerosene or VM&P Naphtha is generally effective. When the solvent will not penetrate sticker
material apply heat (hair dryer) to soften the adhesive and promote removal. GASOLINE SHOULD NEVER BE USED.
New Construction and renovations frequently require that the glazing and surrounding sash and wall finish be cleaned of any excess mortar, paint, sealant, primers, or other construction compounds. Only recommended cleaners should be used to clean Lexan Sheet.
Contact with harsh solvents such as methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) or muriatic acid can result in surface degradation and possible crazing of Lexan sheet.
* Registered trademark of B.T.I. chemical
** Registered trademark of Proctor and Gamble
*** Registered trademark of Colgate Palmolive
**** Registered trademark of Drackett Products Company