For a round container:
1) For circumference of the bag, multiply the diameter of the bag by 3.14. Divide that number by 2 to get the flat width. Add 1” for a looser fit.
2) Add ½ of the diameter to the height of the container. Add 5” to this total for overhang. This is the total length of the bag needed.
3) If tying the bag, add ½ the diameter to the bag length in #2.
Your container is 12” diameter X 12” tall
12” diameter X 3.14 / 2 + 1 = 19.84” wide
6” + 18” + 5” (for over hang) = 30” tall
So you would need a 20” wide X 30” long bag
For a square or rectangular container:
1) Add the width and length of the sides. Add 2” for a looser fit. This total equals the flat width of the bag needed.
2) Add ½ of the shortest side to the height of the container. Add 5” to this value for overhang. This equals the length of the bag.
3) If tying bag rather then lining a box, add ½ the length of the shortest side to the bag length in #2.
Your box is 14”L X 12”W X 12”H
14”L + 12”W + 2” = 28” wide
12” H + 6” (1/2 width) + 5” (for overhang) = 23”
So you would need a 28” wide X 23” long bag
The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by
United States Plastic Corp. and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or
warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with
respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose.
Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss
or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of materials, time or profits arising out of,
or in connection with, the use of this information.