• Always use “head-to-head coverage” in your irrigation system
• Keep the soil consistently moist but not wet. This eliminates runoff, and ensures your plants a steady supply of water.
• Do not water at night - water will sit on the lawn and may cause disease.
• Water in the early morning - evaporation is minimized and the lawn utilizes the most water.
• Do not water midday – evaporative loss is at its greatest.
• Create multiple programs for your irrigation system
– this allows you to water most efficiently.
• Install a rain sensor – it will prevent the system from running during rain.
• Use drip irrigation in flower beds - it saves substantial amounts of water.
• Reduce run times for zones in the shade.
• Allow grass to grow before mowing - this reduces water usage.
• Practice “grass cycling”- this reduces evaporative water loss from the lawn, while reducing the need for fertilizer.
• Sharpen your mower blade - sharp blades are easier on the grass and save water.
• De-thatch your lawn - water will get to the roots faster and evaporate less.
• Aerate your lawn - it prevents soil compaction and allows water to soak in faster.
• Keep plants with different watering needs on different zones – trees vs. lawn, etc.
• Plant native species - native plants do better and need less special care than exotics.
• Mulch flowerbeds and trees - it reduces evaporation and controls weeds.
• Know your soil type - the three basic types: sand, loam, and clay require different watering schedules for optimal results.
By implementing these conservation tips, your water use can be cut dramatically.
The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by
United States Plastic Corp. and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or
warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with
respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose.
Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss
or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of materials, time or profits arising out of,
or in connection with, the use of this information.