< Back to Articles
General hints for working with acrylic sheet
Do’s- Keep masking on as long as possible through your fabrication operations.
- Wear safety glasses when working with power tools.
- Wear gloves when handling large sheets to prevent cuts.
- Use drill bits, carbide tipped circular saw blades and router bits that are designed or reground for acrylics.
- Make sure all your tools are sharp.
- Use water as a coolant when cutting sheets over 1/4” (6.0 mm) thick or drilling sheets over 3/16” (4.5 mm) thick.
- Use the right thickness for glazing panels and ensure there is sufficient rabbet depth to permit sheet deflection and thermal contraction without disengagement.
- Allow 1/16” per linear foot (0.5 cm per linear meter) for expansion in glazing applications.
- Use plenty of water when cleaning acrylic sheet to help prevent scratching.
- Don’t store acrylic sheet near radiators or steam pipes or in direct sunlight.
- Don’t leave masking on if it will expose to the outdoors (sun and rain).
- Don’t install large sheets with bolts…frame them.
- Don’t mark with a punch marker.
- Don’t use saw blades that have side-set teeth. Saw teeth should be carbide tipped with 0°-15° rake and slight radial clearance.
- Don’t bring the material into direct contact with heaters.
- Don’t subject the sheet to high surface temperature during polishing.
- Don’t us glass cleaning sprays, scouring compounds or solvents like acetone, gasoline, benzene, carbon tetrachloride, or lacquer thinner.
- Don’t heat acrylic sheet in a kitchen oven.
Title: General hints for working with acrylic sheet
Description: Do's and Don'ts for working with acrylic sheet
Last Edited: 10/10/2016
The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by
United States Plastic Corp. and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or
warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with
respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose.
Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss
or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of materials, time or profits arising out of,
or in connection with, the use of this information.