One type of polyurethane is not better than another, but your application does have to be considered when choosing between the two. Ester-based polyurethane offers slightly better fuel and oil resistance; however, water attacks it and significantly reduces its physical properties. Ether-based polyurethane exhibits far superior hydrolytic stability, especially in humid environments. Ether-based tubing will also resist fungus growth much better than ester-based.
|Hardness, Shore A +/- 5||85||85|
|Tensile strength, psi||6000||5500|
|Elongation at Break||550||580|
|Brittleness Temperature, °F||-95||-90|
|Max Operating Temp., °F||185||175|
- Both are used with barbed fittings.
- Both are made from non-toxic ingredients conforming to FDA standards for use with wet and fatty food contact surfaces.
- The ether-based material is listed by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF61) for use with potable water.
- Both are resistant to oil, greases, and fuels.*
- Both are extremely resistant to weathering, tearing, impact, radiation, and abrasion. Ether would be the best outdoor use option because it is both UV resistant and not affected by water or humidity.
- Neither one contains plasticizers that leach and cause tubing to harden.
- Can be heat sealed, coiled, fabricated, or bonded.
- Much more resistant to pressure and vacuum than corresponding PVC and rubber tubing.
*due to additives in today’s gasoline and petroleum products, field testing should be performed.
Title: Superthane® Ester-based or Ether-based polyurethane tubing – why would I pick one over the other?
Description: Overview of the Superthane® Ester and Ether based tubing.
Last Edited: 1/19/2023
The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by
United States Plastic Corp. and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or
warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with
respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose.
Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss
or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of materials, time or profits arising out of,
or in connection with, the use of this information.