< Back to Articles
Assmann polyethylene tank maintenance schedule and check list.
- Never enter a tank without following OSHA approved guidelines.
- Check each fitting monthly for possible seepage or leaks.
- If you detect some seepage, tighten the bolts or the compression nut slightly. Do not over tighten.
- If tightening the hardware does not solve your problem, you may need to replace the gasket or the complete fitting.
- Flush your tank every 12 months. This will help to prevent premature failure due to buildup or oxidation. Do not flush the tank with anything that may cause an exothermic reaction. Check with your chemical supplier for a solution that can be safely used to flush.
- If your tank is five years or older, check the inside and outside surface of the tank for crazing, cracking or unusual discoloration. Focus around fitting areas. If you do not find anything, you should check the tank every year thereafter. For chemicals like sulfuric acid,
sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide or other known stress-cracking agents, check the surface area after the second year in service and every six months thereafter.
- Stress cracking is a warning sign that should not be ignored. If you suspect or see any signs that could be stress cracks, call your United States Plastic Corp or Assmann Corporation direct.
- Make sure all flexible expansion joints are in good working order.
- Do not allow the individual responsible for filling the tank to surge air into the tank after filling is complete. This tank is not a pressure vessel. Do not use more than 7 psi when clearing fill lines.
- Keep a log of all inspections.
Title: Assmann polyethylene tank maintenance schedule and check list.
Description: What to do to make sure your Assmann tank stays in good shape.
Last Edited: 12/28/2018
The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by
United States Plastic Corp. and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or
warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with
respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose.
Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss
or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of materials, time or profits arising out of,
or in connection with, the use of this information.